PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Waiver denied

tylerjames
11-19-2013, 00:37
hello,

Before this gets tons of negative comments.. hear me out. I am 20 years old, and attempted to enlist in the coast guard & now navy. I was denied from the CG, for Anxiety and depression (code 300 and 311 in the DSM, unspecified anxiety, and depression)

Coast guard was not issuing waivers AT ALL, CG recruiter reccomended another branch. I met with a navy recruiter and got the ball rolling for a waiver.

I got 3 references, a letter from my psychologist (who diagnosed me originally, and reevaluated me later) saying that he did not see the disorders at the present time, my transcripts, and a letter from me.

(My Anxiety and depression was from smoking pot when i was 15 ((Im 21 now)) and I went to a psychologist with my mother for a few one on one therapy talks for about 6 months, no medication was ever prescribed. I grew out of it obviously, as the anxiety was from pot (never smoked again) and several years later found a calling to enlist.

Sent the waiver up, 5 weeks later got it back as a denied waiver. Recruiter said to reapply in two years, I really think that its just bad timing as I know the military is overflowing. I am reaching out to Navy BUMED to see if theres anything I can do further.

Does anyone have any advice? I really feel like this needs to be looked at again. I never even got to MEPS.

Thank you,

HMC-FMF-PJ
11-20-2013, 00:44
There is no clear evidence that marijuana directly causes depression. It's more likely that the genetic, environmental or other factors that trigger the depression lead to the marijuana use. A form of self medicating as a way to cope with depression symptoms in the same manner some people reach for a bottle of alcohol.

Any use of an illegal substance is grounds for disqualification from military service. This is especially true for trusted positions such as Hospital Corpsman. After all we run the pharmacy, dispense drugs, and the tools of our trade include things like valium, morphine, and fentanyl.

You may need to try for a different job than Corpsman or a different service. Army enlistment standards are lower than Navy standards. The National Guard and state militia might also be options. However, your conduct as a teenager may continue to haunt your ability to achieve certain goals.

I would develop a plan B while you research ways to achieve plan A (enlist in military) in case things don't work out. How you present yourself and how you present your past will play a big roll in how much support you get from recuiters in the future.

Nonetheless there are others ways to serve your country and community.
http://www.peacecorps.gov/learn/whyvol/