PDA

View Full Version : Damn Pushups

Corpsman_Billy
09-09-2008, 15:20
Hey everybody. I think I need help creating a good workout routine. In order for me to ship out I have to pass an IFA and be able to do 42 push ups and 50 curl ups in 2:00 and run the 1.5 mile in 12:30. I'm not sure if that is the same for everybody shipping out or not?

Well the day after I signed up they gave me an IFA and I did 37 push ups and 47 curl ups (actually 51 but they were over the time limit) and they didn't test me on the running.

But I have tested myself on the running and I can run it in 11.20 fairly easily.

My problem however is that I have been working out for 2 weeks now and like this morning I got up and I was struggling to belt out 20 push ups. I have never had a very strong upper body and I really need to get a good routine figured out. So I asked my recruiters and they don't go much past 'do as many as you can all the time'. Well, that didn't do me much good.

So I checked out a few sites online like military.com and I see some pages that say do 200 push ups a day every day in as few sets as you can and then I look at other sources (such as my DEP book) that say do 4 sets of max. effort for 30 seconds 3 times a week. That doesn't seem like enough really.

So what did you guys do to help build yourselves up? How many pushups could you do on your first tests? I really need help getting a 'set' schedule so I am on the right track and not changing it up every week wasting valuable time trying to figure it out.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I really appreciate it. I know if I ever want to go FMF and be with Marines I have a LONG way to go:weye:

tmoreland
09-09-2008, 17:48
Billy,

Take a rest on the workout for 3-5 days. The most important part of strength training is to allow proper time to rest. If you notice your strength decreasing it is likely that you are overtraining. Also remember that your diet will dictate your performance. Old saying that "an army marches on it's stomach". If you are working out like a champ and not giving your body proper nutrients to rebuild and fuel for activity you are going to be a chump until you do. Set attainable (not lazy) goals and meet them.

Please S T R E T C H immediately before and after you workout. STRETCH When you wake up and probably about an hour after you workout. I do and I stay limber. Stretching will flush your muscles with blood and fresh nutrients. It's on the order of giving yourself a massage.

I just took my PFA today and thwacked it. I am pretty sure it's crying in the corner somewhere like a Bride-Zillah with a Ketch-Up stain. I would be happy to assist you in any area you feel that you are lacking in. I will send you my workout routine, and diet if you ask for it. I'll note that it does not include basic curl-ups or push-ups, running however is a big part of it.

You have plenty of time before you ship to be a PT machine so I'd say you'll be fine.

Welcome to the Navy DEP

Tommy

dvldocjoe
09-09-2008, 17:59
Are you using any kind of equipment such as weights or just straight body mass?

Are you staying hydrated and replacing eldctrolytes?

Modification of diet?

1. balance of energy carbs, protein, and veggies.

Strength or endurance training?

Remember that you should alternate between upper body one day and lower body the next. Try using a weight bench for upper strength to the chest using bench press, shoulder press, military press, and abs.

Corpsman_Billy
09-09-2008, 21:20
I know my diet isn't bad. I get plenty of carbs and protein and I drink a bottle of gatorade during workouts.

Da-Chief
09-09-2008, 23:02
Tmoreland Nailed it..

If your going to be tested.. Give yourself rest of at least 2-3 days prior to the test..

You see to build Muscle mass your basically building "SCAR TISSUE" in your muscles.. You rip them then the repair and build bigger..

If your working out everyday then come to your 7th day and test.. you will do "HORRIBLY"..

When I ran 10K's.. I would always have a light week prior to the run.. I wouldn't stop mind you.. but I would bring it down..

Everything you have been told above is crucial..

Diet, Reps and time etc..

The main thing, Build up..

Tomororrow.. Do 40 PU's.. Take a day off then the next day do 41.. day off.. then do 41 again etc..

The main thing, I feel by reading what your saying.. Your not resting your muscle groups.. you can work out all the time but should work out different parts of your body each day.

The way I used to do it..

Arms/ Back/ Ab's Mon

Tuesday ---Run only

Wed--Chest/ Shoulders/ Abs

Thursday --Light Run do Sprints etc.. Just enough to get your BP going for 30 or so min's..

Fri--Heavy Chest Workout.. Lots of Reps.. Not big weight but lots of Reps..

Sat--Long Run.. Steady.. + Abs

Sun--Rest..

And all while eating a great diet.. Look we all cheat if your going to do it, do it on Sunday.. Hell Football is on anyways.. Send me a order of Wings..
;-)

And if your really training.. Stay away from the booze.. Seriously..

When doing P'u's.. Things folks forget is the arms as well as the shoulder work out..

Good Luck

DocJimbo
09-10-2008, 00:03
i have 3 months to leave...

I've been doing P90X.....if you got the money then i suggest it

I have been getting awesome results.

dvldocjoe
09-10-2008, 01:03
Don't forget that there are different types of pushups such as diamond, close in, wide out, deltas, and so forth to work different muscles.

Da-Chief has the right idea with the day of the week routine.

Corpsman_Billy
09-10-2008, 13:56
i have 3 months to leave...

I've been doing P90X.....if you got the money then i suggest it

I have been getting awesome results.

Supplements are a no go. I won't have them at boot camp when I will be tested so why would I use it? Waste of money. I'd rather just have a good diet.

DocJimbo
09-11-2008, 11:27
Supplements are a no go. I won't have them at boot camp when I will be tested so why would I use it? Waste of money. I'd rather just have a good diet.

P90x is a workout program...

You can take supplements but I just eat right and do the work outs...

It is a good program to do before boot camp if you want an edge.

All you need is some dumbells, a pull up bar, bands, and a mat

I'm a happy customer so far, so i'll tell you what it is about.

Muscle confusion...aka high school weight training 101

Not too mention they have a 90 day money-back guarantee so to be honest right before i leave i'm sending it back to get my money back regardless lol

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?code=P90XDOTCOM

I'd give a shot billy, I'll post my before and after photos right before I ship.

Corpsman_Billy
09-11-2008, 18:57
Oh sorry. By the sound of it I just assumed that it was some sort of supplement. lol

DocJimbo
09-11-2008, 19:40
lol its ok, i get that a lot

but you should try it, i think there is free things on the internet if you look it up right

Trigger
09-28-2008, 23:24
The BUD/s Warning Order is a great workout program for everyone...you don't necessarily need to be going to BUD/s! My pushups have dramatically increased and my mile times have gone down a lot also! Check it out: http://www.stewsmith.com/BUDSwarningorder.htm

AA Schmitt(USNSCC)

Corpsman_Billy
09-29-2008, 00:25
The BUD/s Warning Order is a great workout program for everyone...you don't necessarily need to be going to BUD/s! My pushups have dramatically increased and my mile times have gone down a lot also! Check it out: http://www.stewsmith.com/BUDSwarningorder.htm

AA Schmitt(USNSCC)

Hey that looks pretty good. I still have 6 months to leave so I have awhile to mess around with it:err:

DocHolliday
10-02-2008, 09:21
Push ups use a variety of muscles, triceps, deltoids, trapezius, pectoral just to name a few major groups. You should try to condition all of those muscles, primarily the delts and pecs, since they do most of the contracting during a push up. Consider incorporating a bench, chest fly or over-the-chest dumbbell press into your routine to get those pecs developed and some good old fashioned military press and lateral arm raises (fighter pilots) to develop your delts. Push-ups shouldn't be your only exercise, but incorporated into a well rounded routine. A good exercise to work on those stabilizing muscles is the plank, just assume the push-up position, straight as a board, and hold it. Hardcore mode is lifting one foot at a time barely off the ground and holding it for 5 seconds and switching back and forth. Hey, you even get an ab workout. You can then move to sideplank, and if you want to get into hardcore mode, do crunches with your free elbow. If your looking to be intense, do the inchworm, that will give all your muscles a workout. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS stretch and cool down. LISTEN to your body, if it hurts, you're probably not doing it right and you need to stop. ALWAYS take correct form over heavy weight and take your time doing the reps. If you have any other questions email me usn.hospital.corpsman@gmail.com

HM2(SW) ACFL USS Doyle (FFG39)

drew71
09-14-2012, 14:45
check out anything written by stew smith the man is a fitness legend