PDA

View Full Version : advancement

prettywheelchair
02-12-2007, 10:11
So this question may be slightly pre-mature seeing how I am still in the DEP, however a brief conversation brought up a question I have yet to find a legitimate sounding answer to. I am enlisted with guarenteed E3, and was just curious about advancement. Things I have been reading lately suggest advancement after boot camp is fairly easy...although E1 to E2 is the common example given. Is advancement simmilarly common for those who enter into the navy with E3 already? Or is time in rank more necessary to make E4? I suppose I should be worried about a whole lot of other things before I worry about being advanced, although simple curiosity has got me on this one.

Da-Chief
02-12-2007, 12:56
Soon to be Shipmate,

I promise you if you score a perfect score on your test "80" you will be advanced, so study study study.

You cannot take the test though until you are "RATED" as a HM, in other words you have to finishe "A" School and grad before you can take the advancement exam.

V/R
HMC

Meatfoam
04-06-2007, 07:03
How did you get E3? They only gave me E2, despite college credits and NREMT-P. Just wondering, because I think that I may be eligible for more. A few years ago one of my coworkers got in as E4 with prior NREMT-P only.
All my bargaining powers, nada.
Good luck to you!

Poolzer
04-06-2007, 15:57
I came in as an e3 with college credit. Granted it was a full 4 year degree.

Also, promising an adv. even with a perfect score is still not a good idea with our latest quotas.

Da-Chief
04-06-2007, 18:52
Not promising a advancement, but 2 things you can control for the most part are you Evals, then a Test Score.

I proved this to some fellow shipmates who swore they studied for every test, Yada yada Yada.. Then I gave them a "hour" a day during work, for 2 months prior to the test.. I can now say that one of them that was a HN for me in 1998 is up for HMC this year, and another made HM1 before he passed away and the other got out.

All of them cut in the high 60's and up.

All of them were advanced.

So Until I see "ANYONE" cut a 80 and not be advanced.. 23 years so far never happend. In our rate at least that I have seen, and to be honest I have only seen 2 people cut 80's....

HMC
But I have been wrong before.. I just have 23 years of exp to back me up.

indolence
07-07-2007, 23:17
I have 70 college hours and they are giving me e-3.

07-08-2007, 09:22
Indolence:

Please make sure it is 'written' into your contract. Don't take the recruiters word for it.

07-08-2007, 09:25
Da Chief;

We had a young family acquaintance join the Navy not to far back. He completed the PQS book and had E2 in his contract. During bootcamp he failed a PRT or one those physical tests by one point. He graduated as an E1 recruit with no stripes on his sleeve. He had to wait 9 months before picking up his E2.

I thought this odd as his contract had E2 on it. However, I also remembering reading some small print, that you had to maintain a state of readiness. I guess the Navy saw this as him not be in that state and with held his E2 at graduation.

Any comments?

Poolzer
07-08-2007, 14:34
If you pick up your next rank, but fail any part of the PRT, you are not authorized to put that rank on. Have watched E4 and E5's have that happen to them after results come out, so assume that can happen to the lower ranks too.

indolence
07-08-2007, 22:20
Indolence:

Please make sure it is 'written' into your contract. Don't take the recruiters word for it.
oh dont worry, my dad was career enlisted, i know about contracts and their little loopholes.

schirling_rules
07-09-2007, 15:36
Chief is right, you do have to study your ass off as a corpsman to get advanced. A lot of people see their friends in other rates advance with ease, and think it should that be that way for us, too. That's crap. Low advancement quotas are part of being corpsman. For instance, HM2 quota last cycle was only appx 5 percent. That's the lowest in the Navy. You just have to find a way to be better than that other 95%. I came in as a HN and picked up 3rd within a year, now I'm at 4 years and closing in on HM2. Just don't expect to be handed rank; work for it;earn it and you will be fine. There are a lot of bitter HNs with like 5 years in who just don't bother to study. Don't be one of them.

KentuckyBoy
07-11-2007, 01:45
If you have in your contract E-3 for college credits, your good to go. If you got E-2 or 3 based on the PQS, you have to do a couple of things to actually get the rank. One being that your recruiter has to actually turn in the paper work. Then you have to take a written test at boot camp proving you actually know your stuff. After that you have to pass the first and last PFA in boot camp.

Da-Chief
07-11-2007, 09:31
Kentucky,

You make a "GREAT" point. Make sure before you get on the damn plane that your paperwork shows you are supposed to be advanced if you are a "DEPP'ER" I don't know how many students we had where they thought they were going to be advanced and no paperwork. nothing that PSD could do here.

V/R
HMC

HM_ChrisG
07-11-2007, 09:42
Just a suggestion...

Get a copy of the paperwork for you to advance via your DEP PQS. That way if it gets "lost" you still have something to fall back on. If you don't have it, this means that you have to try and do this over the phone with your recruiter while you are in Boot Camp. Some of my division guys did just fine with it, but that was because the recruiter simply forgot 1 paper or whatever. Just keep on top of your recruiter and you should be good to go.

HM Tomlinson
07-14-2007, 10:59
Question...FMTB is considered a training command. correct? I will be there through sept 12. Will I miss the window to take the advancement exam? Can I route a chit to take it later in the month or am I just out of luck for this cycle?

Da-Chief
07-14-2007, 13:50
Tomlinson,
your rated now, put in a chit and see what they say, if anything maybe you can get the late test.

Later
HMC

KentuckyBoy
07-14-2007, 22:42
I know we had people take the test in PSI, so I would THINK that you could take it while at FMTB. But like Chief said, you'll probably have to route a chit. I don't see the command denying you the opportunity to advance.

suupA
07-15-2007, 03:55
During FMTB the schedule is too demanding to take the E-4/E-5 exam. There's always something that is to be done. Then again, I didn't go through FMTB during the March cycle, I was in class 2007040, but with all of the stuff that we did during class time, there was no time alloted for eligible people to take the exam. I'm up for E-4 in Sept.. good luck to everyone!

I have a question myself.. even if I have a Non-Observed eval, is it still remotely possible to advance? The only way I would imagine is to score amazingly well on the exam.

Corpsman77
04-18-2008, 10:04
During FMTB the schedule is too demanding to take the E-4/E-5 exam. There's always something that is to be done. Then again, I didn't go through FMTB during the March cycle, I was in class 2007040, but with all of the stuff that we did during class time, there was no time alloted for eligible people to take the exam. I'm up for E-4 in Sept.. good luck to everyone!

I have a question myself.. even if I have a Non-Observed eval, is it still remotely possible to advance? The only way I would imagine is to score amazingly well on the exam.

During my class our instructors had a list of everyone who was eligible to take the exam. Those people did.

You need an eval, but a non-observed will qualify you as it worked for those at FMTB.

Yes, this was a really old post but I forgot about it. Just making sure up to date info is out there.

Blueguy17
07-30-2010, 08:15
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what the average cutting score is for hm2/e5 is, or has been for the last 5 cycles. Now that we have a democrat in office i wonder if the cuttinig scores are going to go up and the Percent to advance will go down?

The last cutting score for e-5 was around 161-163, i beleive the advancement was around 9%. I'm curious to know what the sep 2010/march 2011 cutting scores are gonna be. I'm going to miss the exam due to deployment. So in march i get kind of a two for one shot. Things are looking really well seeing how i only missed it by a few. I realize they havent put the quota's out yet but maybe if i have the average of the last few cycles i can get an idea of where the cutting score is going to be. anything would help thanks.

V/R Hm3.

DanM
07-30-2010, 12:02
Overmanned,high retention ,"Needs of the Navy". I see nothing in the equation that relates to the democrat in office.

CorpsmanShell
10-04-2010, 01:09
I was on a DET to Australia the entire month of September, and there was no way for me or my fellows to take the advancement exam (we were told by our respective commands that they'd "take care of it" when we got back). We are back in Iwakuni now and still waiting to recieve the tests. I looked up the instruction online, and it says the cutoff date to take the test was September 27. I talked to my PS3 and he said that's wrong or incomplete info and that we'll still be getting the exams to take in a couple weeks.

Basically, I just want confirmation that I wasn't just hosed out of ANOTHER (my second) HM2 exam.