Thread: Ride To The Flags 9/11/11

Ride To The Flags 9/11/11

This year I was a bit wiser after attending last year. I organized two meeting points through the RTTF Facebook page. I left Idyllwild at 0545 and reached the first point just after seven. We had three bikes and two cars (cages) so I took lead to point number two. Point number two was a bust since I thought the small road I picked on the map was a service road for a golf course. It actually was a small residential street. I waited on the road just in case and then picked up the first group. We made it to Ventura safely with my Impala in the lead. We refueled and then headed to the registration at Pt. Mugu NAS arriving about ten.

I helped the Patriot Guard Riders set up a Flag Line for the presentation of Colors and a wreath laying ceremony. The Fueled by the Fallen Navy Memorial car was present so I got pics of the names of some of our fallen HMs. After the ceremony, The Intersection Control Team Members (ICTM) and Road Guards rolled out onto the route. I had a four way intersection with a stoplight so I took the position in the turn lane to block the busy side to the left. The first group rolled through and about fifteen minutes later the second group rolled through.

I jumped in the end of the line and followed as a chase car until I got to sections where there were two lanes. I moved up to clear intersections and block when I could. I had one motorcycle that stopped with throttle problems in the last part of the ride. The chase truck mechanic was able to fix it and we got the bike to the finish.

Pepperdine does a wonderful job of setting up almost 3,000 flags on the lawn of the school looking out at the ocean. I listen to the presentation with a 3/5 HM from Pendleton. No medical issues for the ride with around 850 bikes present and almost $30,000 raisede for charity. The return trip through L.A. was quiet and completed a sixteen hour day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have almost 100 photos plus a video of the ride on Facebook. Here is the link for the ride video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSHDDmXcWc

My car pops in at 13:40 just prior the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0nE1LjbCHM

I show up at the 35:05 to 35:40 mark with the MedicMover blocking traffic on the left side. I was taking pictures of the second group as they came by. This footage shows the Flag Line by the PGR during colors, th4e ceremony at NAS Pt. Mugu, and the route of the bike ride.
    Last edited by dvldocjoe; 09-18-2011 at 01:29. Reason: additional video availble

Good Write up Joe, glad things are turning around for you!!
    D/C
    Darrell Da-Chief Crone
    HMC(AW) USN (ret)

Have a problem?

OFFER A SOLUTION!!

http://www.corpsman.com

Hey DC,

I have a funeral for a close friend next friday so more than likely my next PGR event will be to the Northwood Gratitude Wall on Veteran's Day. I would like to try to get the rubbings of the names for all of our lost HMs.