Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Navy Corpsman - My Road to a Military Career

DocRasco,
    Thanks for your story…very motivating and moving. Wow, it’s been awhile since I’ve been on here, but wanted to give an update. Things are moving in the right direction, but I must say, they are moving slower than I thought they would. Honestly, I thought I’d be at MEPS with a HM contract in hand and a ship date secured. Unfortunately, I’m not close to that yet.

Currently, I’ve lost 25lbs and can finally complete MOST of the SEAL Challenge, except for the running portion and pull-ups. I’m using that as a gauge. I am happy that things are going in the right direction, but it is demoralizing to have it take so long. It makes sense, though. I didn’t get fat overnight and if you are losing weight the RIGHT way, it does take some time.

Meanwhile, I’ve completed all the paperwork for my enlistment packet and completed the ASVAB - scored a 98 on that. So, that’s good. At this rate, I’m hoping to have a contract by summer…as long as they don’t drop the age maximum again!

Good to see that its going good for you...keep the motivation!

Cool Getting Closer!!!

Well, itís been about a month since I posted last and things have improved quite a bit. I am continuing to lose weight, but not as much as I thought. This is mostly due to muscle mass and lean muscle gain. I can definitely tell a difference in terms of waist shrinkage and muscle definition now. I am only about 2% away from meeting body fat standards for entry. So, it looks like Iíll be able to make tape before I make weightÖprobably within the month. The Chief at my recruiting station says once I can make tape, he can schedule me for MEPS because I donít need to make tape AND weight to pass the physical, just one or the other for my age group (Iím 35). Is that correct?
    The biggest hurdle is not making weight and getting in shape, but the NECM opening up the enlistment slots for HM for Prior Service. I spoke with the HM NECM and he is projecting it will be near the end of the summer for PS slots to open. But, he also said he is going to the Schoolhouse in TX later this month to reevaluate the situation. So, I guess slots could open soonerÖor later than projected. Does anyone have any other info on this?
    Either way, Iím closer to HM now than I have ever been. As long as they open up the PS slots, I should have a contract by the end of summer!