Below is a Briefing Card and a FAQ for the program. Take advantage quickly as it ends in September 2012! Great opportunity for those who want to remain operational or go back operational instead of staying in the hospital.

MPTE Briefing Card
Voluntary Sea Duty Program
X FEB 2012

Background: To support the CNO Sailing Directions, which guide us to support warfighting first, operate forward and be ready, the Navy has created the Voluntary Sea Duty Program (VDSP) for highly-trained and motivated Sailors to fill critical billets at sea. VDSP provides non-monetary incentives to Sailors to voluntarily extend their enlistment in their current sea duty billet beyond their prescribed sea tour, to terminate shore duty early and accept new orders to a sea duty billet, or to accept back-to-back sea duty orders beyond normal sea/shore flow limits.

Talking Points:
• Volunteering to return to sea duty under this program offers the following benefits:
a) Geographical choice/stability for member and family
 Volunteers can stay in the same duty location
 Volunteers can get orders to relocate to a more desirable duty station
b) PTS deferment
 Allows Sailors a chance to improve their record, increasing their competitive edge in PTS through additional evaluations that demonstrate sustained superior performance at sea
 Provides additional time to advance
c) Increase in Monthly Career Sea Pay
 More time at sea means more Sea Pay
 2 years Sea Pay vice 4 years equates to an 88% increase
d) Chief Selection Board
 The Chief Selection Board favorably considers Sailors who have demonstrated success in challenging assignments, particularly at sea or overseas
• This program does not change eligibility or benefits for the Sea Duty Incentive Pay program and Sailors may take advantage of both programs concurrently.
• This is a short-term opportunity. Requests will be accepted until 30 SEP 2012.
• Volunteers will not be required to accept a billet they do not desire. The Detailers will work with volunteers during two CMS/ID cycles to find desirable orders. If no match is found during this time period, Sailors can reapply.
• To be eligible to apply for a STE to defer PTS, Sailors must meet eligibility criteria to ensure competitiveness in their next PTS window. However, Sailors who do not meet these criteria, but have enough obligated service time, can still apply for geographic stability or choice.
• For Sailors terminating shore duty early, requests will be reviewed by NPC to ensure transfers will not significantly impact the Sailor’s current command.

FAQs for Voluntary Sea Duty Program (VSDP)

1. Why should I volunteer to extend at sea, terminate shore duty early to go back to sea, or request a back-to-back sea duty tour?
a) Geographical choice/stability for member and family
 Volunteers can stay in the same duty location
 Volunteers can get orders to relocate to a more desirable duty station
b) PTS deferment
 Participating in the VSDP will allow you to defer your next PTS window
 This opportunity allows Sailors a chance to improve their record, increasing their competitive edge in PTS through additional evaluations that demonstrate sustained superior performance at sea
 Provides additional time to advance
c) Increase in Monthly Career Sea Pay
 More time at sea means more Sea Pay
 An E5 or E6 with 2 years Sea Pay receives $160, but at 4 years Sea Pay is $300, which equates to an 88% increase!
d) Chief Selection Board
 Increase your competitive edge over your peers
 The Chief Selection Board favorably considers Sailors who have demonstrated success in challenging assignments, particularly at sea or overseas

2. Are Sailors of all ratings and paygrades eligible for this program?

Answer: Yes, all Sailors meeting eligibility requirements as listed in the NAVADMIN may apply; however, generally only those Sailors in rates undermanned at sea will be approved.

3. Will approval of my request impact my eligibility for a Selective Reenlistment Bonus (SRB)?
Answer: Yes, a short term extension will likely impact your eligibility for this bonus and special consideration should be taken before a request is submitted. If you have any questions, it is recommended that you consult your CCC or detailer.

4. Can I request to PCS out of my current geographic area?

Answer: Yes, although one of the benefits of the program is to provide geographic stability in an unstable housing market, out of area moves will be approved on a case-by-case basis dependent upon the cost of the move, PCS resources available at the time of the request, and the critical skills held by the Sailor.
5. If I apply for this program, can I choose any job I want?

Answer: Under this program, you may apply for a type 2/3/4 activity billet. The intent of this program is to focus on improving sea duty manning, with deploying units and Fleet balance being prime considerations. As a volunteer, you will not be forced to accept a billet you do not desire. Detailers will allow your request to be considered for two consecutive CMS/ID cycles in an attempt to meet your desires. However, it is possible that your request will be disapproved based upon no requisitions available that meet your desires.

6. How will my request be considered? Will some Sailors have priority?

Answer: Requests will be considered on a first come, first served basis. Approvals will be prioritized in the following order:
a) Volunteers already at sea using STE to continue in billet
b) Volunteers not requiring PCS to move
c) Volunteers requiring PCS to move, but hold a critical NEC
d) Volunteers requiring PCS to move to sea billet
e) Cases in which more than one volunteer applies for a billet, and are fully qualified, the applicant with the lowest PCS cost will be offered the orders

7. Will Sailors currently negotiating for sea duty orders be unfairly disadvantaged by this program?

Answer: Volunteers will only be allowed to request jobs that currently have no applications in the current CMS/ID requisition or other high priority jobs not currently advertised on CMS/ID. Currently, there are many available billets to choose from, especially in the most undermanned ratings at sea.

8. Am I required to get my command’s approval on the request?

Answer: You are required to route your request via your chain of command. If you are currently serving in a Special Program as listed in MILPERSMAN 1306-900, your Commanding Officer must approve the request for you to be considered. If you are not in a Special Program, then a positive command endorsement is not required, but helpful.

9. Can I extend on sea duty even if I’m not eligible for the STE?

Answer: Yes, you can still extend on sea duty but you cannot incur additional OBLISERV without approval.

10. Can I get PCS orders (back to back sea duty or shore curtailment) without qualifying for the STE and PTS deferral?

Answer: Absolutely, there are many Sailors that do not require a PTS quota to meet OBLISERV requirements. If you can re-enlist to meet OBLISERV requirements, you will be given orders for your full prescribed sea tour and still be considered for the geographic stability provided by this program.

11. If my request is disapproved, can I reapply later?

Answer: Unless the request was disapproved for ineligibility, a subsequent request will be given full consideration. You can apply again 1 month from the date of your previous application provide you were not denied due to ineligibility.

12. Why are we asking for volunteers to go to sea after the Enlisted Retention Board (ERB) just separated Sailors? Wouldn’t it have been more prudent to let those Sailors stay on active duty?

Answer: The ERB was created to balance the Force by reducing overmanning in specific rating paygrades and year groups. It did not have the ability to redistribute the remaining Sailors between sea duty and shore duty. The VSDP is meant to help rebalance the sea-shore manning for all ratings to ultimately improve sea duty manning.

13. Why are we doing this now?

Answer: We have significantly improved balance in the Force through Perform-to-Serve (PTS) and ERB. We’ve developed this program to redistribute personnel to priority billets in their rating.

14. Why are there such strict requirements for becoming eligible for a STE and PTS deferment?

Answer: PTS is still our primary Force management tool and to make the process fair to all, the deferment will only be offered to those Sailors considered competitive for a PTS quota.

15. How will the impact to the losing shore commands be considered?

Answer: All commands have a PERS-4013 Placement Coordinator assigned as the advocate for the unit’s enlisted manning. A thorough review of mission impact will be made by that advocate using guidance provided by PERS-4013 Leadership with certain manning thresholds being provided as a “trip wire.” This impact will be balanced with the critical needs of the fleet and the skills of the Sailor.

Further questions should be addressed to PERS-4013.