Thread: Enlisting as Corpsman

Enlisting as Corpsman

I was just wondering, if its possible when out of A school for your C school you could go and be a SEAL medic? Also what happens for instance, because it is such a hard school, if you fail out or wash out, what happens to you then?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz08 View Post
    I was just wondering, if its possible when out of A school for your C school you could go and be a SEAL medic? Also what happens for instance, because it is such a hard school, if you fail out or wash out, what happens to you then?
    Not sure what exactly you are asking,SEAL medic? No such animal,you can go to HM "A" school and become a Hospital Corpsman.You can then try to become a SEAL by attending BUDs training.If you completed BUDs you are no longer a HM,the rate would then be SO. see link for more...........

http://www.corpsman.com/forum/showth...highlight=seal

Okay, I get it if I passed buds training then I would no longer be HM rather I would be SO. All I was wondering is if it is possible?

And also what happens to me if I try and fail?

Usually if you are rated before going to BUD/S you would maintain that rate if you drop the school since it is your primary NEC...

Oh ok, I just want to be informed so, I know what to do and expect. Would I have a choice then to choose another "C" school or would the navy stick me wherever they wanted me if I didn't make it?

Your name would be added to the list of billet fill at EPMAC to be placed where you are needed.

I don't think you understand what you are asking - if your goal is to work with the SEALs, then you should join the SO rate directly. Sign a SEAL contract through the recruiter, go through boot camp and the prep program, and then report to Coronado for BUDS. If you join as a HM, you will complete boot camp, HM A school, and then be available for orders as an HM either to a C school (read, specialty medical training), a Medical Treatment Facility or operational duty with the Marines or shipboard.

To be with the SEALs in a medical capacity requires cross rating to their community and becoming an SO - it is not a C school for HMs. Once you are rated in the HM community, you will be required to complete a minimum activity tour of approximately 24 months prior to being allowed to cross-rate.

If you do accept a C school within the HM community and are not successful, then you are made available for 'needs of the Navy' options from the HM detailer. The same would apply if you do not pass BUDS after crossrating - you would revert to your source rating and be made available for 'needs of the Navy' orders.
    -HMC indy
    Semper Gumby! Semper Liquidis! Semper Abeo!

Okay, I apologize for being so cryptic, and I appreciate all the answers you guys have given me, I really have no idea what I am doing.