Thread: Navy Enlistment as a Corpsman... Combat?

Navy Enlistment as a Corpsman... Combat?

Hi everybody.

I am a junior in high school and I recently talked to a Navy Recruiter at a college fair we had at school. I am currently taking EMT/BLS classes and will be taking firefighting classes this summer. As a Corpsman, do you get the decision to serve in a combat situation with a platoon of Marines, or are you just assigned to whatever is needed at the time? Also, I know that all Navy recruits are trained in firefighting, but does anyone know if serving in the Navy, let alone the military, can help you actually get a job as a firefighter in the civilian sector? Sorry for the pretty novice questions. Thanks for all of your help.

Jacob

welcome aboard and thank you for your interest in the HM field...

1. Going greenside with the Marines can be done by going to FMTB or certain C schools that require it for the billet after A school:

You can volunteer by IA assignment, you can be voluntold, or be sent depending on unit deployment schedule. Some greenside orders are specific to a part of a command and some are general where when you arrive you fill a needed spot. As far as firefighting jobs after the service, the Damage Controlman who specific job is fighting fire has a better chance than you do.

Thanks for replying.

So you do not always get the opportunity to choose whether or not to serve in a platoon or a hospital setting, you are sent wherever you are needed, correct? But if I were to go to the schools that you are talking about, then I would have a better chance of serving in a platoon? Thanks for your help.

orders are done by GPA at the end of class for A and C schools.... if greenside is available then you could pick it... as far as what greenside or blueside would be available is determined by needs of the navy on that given day.....

Thank you for all of the info and thank you for serving

This site and the SoCal PGR are my way of continuing service to others....