Hi. I'm new here. I am a 22 year old Filipino citizen(about to get my green card, or what some would call it, a permanent residence card in a few weeks) with a B.S. degree in Business Management. I'm currently torn between choosing the Air Force or the Navy.
My initial pick was to join the Air Force. I went in to talk to the AF recruiter, and after taking the practice ASVAB, I scored a 71(recruiter would only talk to me if I scored at least a 55). After meeting the minimum score, she proceeded to ask me some questions and found out I do not have my green card yet. She turned me away and told me to come back when I have my green card.
I was about to go home when the Navy recruiter, who was standing outside the Navy office for a smoke, spotted me going out of the AF office and talked to me. I told him what happened, and surprisingly, he asked me to go in and give the Navy a try.
Now here I am, two weeks later and halfway into studying for the real ASVAB. I've been doing a lot of research and I have a pretty solid understanding of the recruiting process. After combing the usmilitary.about website, I figured out that I couldn't be an officer because I was not a US citizen. I would be able to take the ASVAB, but would be stuck until I got my green card, after which would qualify me to start my security clearance process.
I want to be a Registered Nurse in the civilian world. I found that the best way to do it through the Navy would be to go HM: FMF, challenge the state LPN board in California, and then proceed to a RN degree after that.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of questions that I could not find the answers to. I was hoping you guys could help me out.
1. Is there a way I could have FMF "C" school written in my contract if I enlist? Assuming I get the required ASVAB score for HM, of course.
2. Continued from the previous question, is it possible to ensure me that I go to FMF "C" school immediately right after "A" school, written in my contract?
3. If I can't get FMF "C" school written into my contract, and I am now a general HM, can I choose to go to "C" school as FMF later on or does the Navy decide what my specialty will be? Do I have a limited say, as in "dream sheets", or is it fully in my control?
4. How does the Navy choose where I will be stationed at? Do I have a say as to where I want to be stationed?
5. How does a tour of duty work? Do I have a say as to where I will be "touring"?
6. After some time in the Navy, can I choose to be transferred to a different base? Is it difficult to get transferred?
7. Assuming I am already an HM with FMF training, is there a way to "move up"? Is there extra training for say, supervisory levels or advanced skills in my specialty?
8. Does going to "A" school and "C" school count for my 4 years of active duty service?
That's all I could think of right now. Thanks in advance for the help!