Thread: Corpsman Billet Openings

Corpsman Billet Openings

Can anyone offer some insight into the manning levels? Are there particular times of the year when billets open up?

For example, how often do they hold the Placement Exams? When people promote, is that when new billets at the lower rates open up?

I'm curious to know if there are certain times or seasons when it is more likely that HM billets are available.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Can anyone offer some insight into the manning levels? Are there particular times of the year when billets open up?

For example, how often do they hold the Placement Exams? When people promote, is that when new billets at the lower rates open up?

I'm curious to know if there are certain times or seasons when it is more likely that HM billets are available.

Thanks in advance!
    I am no expert on manning levels or man power planning so if anyone is more aware on this topic feel free to correct me or add on.

With that out of the way, manning is not a direct result of any one thing and neither is it like counting beans where 5 people get promoted and viola instantly now there are 5 empty spots at the very bottom that recruiters are scrambling to fill. Manning levels are projected out several years. They take in to account advancements, retirements, separations, current recruiting, transfers, cross rates, etc... And from there use this 10 page long mathematical formula where a server the size of the empire state building computes out everything, puffs out smoke and a small piece of paper prints out with exact numbers and when. And then a bunch of brass sit around a table and argue about the numbers for several days never coming to a conclusion and doing what the paper said anyways, lol.

But seriously it is a very long and thought out process on how they recruit and advance and what not. Up till the "10 page long mathematical formula" everything is as accurate as I know it to be. So they might project out that x amount are going to retire in the next blank years plus so many advancing and cross rating blah blah blah, and they want the manning to be an Y by certain date, so they figure that at the current rate they will be letís say 1 short so they say "open 3 billets so many months before that date" planning that 1 might drop out at boot camp and another during A school.

These numbers are all just examples and do not reflect at all the current manning or how they actually calculate it out. So basically in short to answer your question, nobody but the bean counters know and even they might not be exactly sure until the day comes due to fluctuating numbers. Talk to your recruiter as they have more experience to the flow of billets than most people here would.

Thank you, that all makes sense.

I guess I'm asking if (for example) someone was able to tell me that they promote every June and November and that creates openings...

Or that there are six classes per year that start at San Antonio, so every other month there are new spots, etc.

It looks like it isn't as simple as all that.

Yea if you think about it rationally and linearly you would generically assume that since x promotes x spots should open up. Also since classes start every y months there should be openings every y months. Sadly it's not the case. Class sizes fluctuate, as well as navy manpower. Also it is never a direct line. You have P days in boot camp, and then when you get to your A school your on hold for x amount of weeks until there is room for you. There are way too many variables to accurately predict it all. I am sorry I cannot give you more accurate information or exact dates; it sucks for any type of planning you are trying to do.

It's not crazily complicated but it's not linear also - the community managers look at overall authorized end strength as manadated by Congress, and then take into account promotions, attrition, HYT gates for each year group of Sailors within their community. As everything is cyclical, certain windows may be open (for example, a rate may accept conversions for E-4 and E-5 only because there is a need in certain year groups) in cases or otherwise if the year group is right at allowed end strength then no conversions are permitted. At its most basic level, it's supply vs demand...the 'demand' is set by Congress as the military's allowed end strength (how many total people on active duty), and the supply is regulated by the community personnel managers through recruiting and conversions.

As related to promotions, this is where advancement quotas come from - the same process. The Navy advancement cycles for E-6 and below are Jan - Jun and Jul - Dec so advancement quotas are established for each; depending on the year groups of folks competing during that cycle will affect how many quotas are available.

Same thing for schools - class start every week in San Antonio, with the exception of the weeks around Christmas/New Year and unforseen circumstances; however those seats may be filled up to a year out. Recruiters make reservations for boot camp/schools in their system when getting applicants - it doesn't mean it's guarenteed. Also upon arrival, being on hold may just mean that the school is waiting for everyone to arrive before that particular class starts, especially if people are coming from all over the Navy. Every school is slightly different however.

Best overall answer is that if you are trying to join, do your research ahead of time, know what you want. The recruiter is there to get you in the Navy, not a specific job. Ultimately it's your decision on what to do, but understand that the military as a whole is downsizing right now which greatly affects all manning.
    -HMC indy
    Semper Gumby! Semper Liquidis! Semper Abeo!

Terrific info! --And much appreciated.

Wow-- I had no idea that "The School House" had such a robust schedule. It reminds me of when my son went through Great Lakes-- where I was astonished to discover that new classes begin almost every week as well, which meant also a PIR almost every Friday! The organization of that machine (we call the military) is something I stand in awe of... I tip my hat to the folks in San Antonio who steer and power this ship!

While I do understand that this rating is in constant high demand, the fact that high volumes of Sailors are piped into and through the process I find encouraging. I'm really hoping that my son gets the opportunity to join these ranks and I know if he does he will reap the rewards that I've enjoyed myself from a life in public service.

Thanks again for the information, this site has been a big help in my searching on his behalf. He's doing all he can on his own of course, which isn't much these days--- still, his head and his heart are already targeted on HM!

I had no idea that "The School House" had such a robust schedule.
    A new class of approx 85 Sailors/35 Airmen starts each week - since the doors have been open from April 2010, the Basic Medical Technician/Corpsman Program (HM A School) has pushed through over 5000 graduates already - if I recall the stats correctly approx 10% of the Fleet's Corpsmen have come through the school house in San Antonio.
    -HMC indy
    Semper Gumby! Semper Liquidis! Semper Abeo!

Amazing.

With that kind of volume how hard could it be to slide my son into the Program? Ha ha...

Ya know? --- I think of how hard my son worked to secure the SEAL Challenge contract, and surmise that there are many young men and women working just as hard to get their HM contacts and Ship Dates--- I do understand that these spots are coveted. The training pipelines are kept pretty full, and this by design no doubt.

Thanks again for the info. Hopefully in the next week or so he will know his immediate fate.