Thread: RECON Corpsman

Ft. Bragg NC

RECON Corpsman

I'm already at my permanent duty station and didn't volunteer during boot, a school, or FMSS, and I simply know very little to nothing about RECON Corpsman. I was wondering if anybody had a good amount of information about it or knew a source that could help answer some questions. Basically I only know what comes up on google, like the pipeline and such. I have a lot of questions, such as how manned they are, if you have to sign an extension if you have 4 years left on your contract, other questions of that sort. Any help would be appreciated.

In his Skin , USA

SARC is about 50% of desired manning. (It was 53% in 2003, but I think it is 47% in 2007) You must have a minimum service commitment upon completion of training. I think it is currently 24 months remaining after the 18 month pipeline but I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

A few keywords to Google/Yahoo so you can learn all you need & more:
    . - Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman (SARC)
    . - Special Forces Medical Sergeant Course (SFMS)
    . - Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCM)
    . - Reconnaissance Independent Duty Corpsman (RIDC)
    . - Fleet Marine Force Reconnaissance Technician
    . - Recon Tech
    . - NEC 8427
    . - NEC 8403
    . - Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC)
    . - Recruit, Screen, Assess and Selection (RSAS)
    . - Assessment and Selection Course (A/S or A&S)
    . - Reconnaissance Marines Awaiting Training (RMAT)
    . - Reconnaissance Indoctrination Program (RIP)
    . - Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC)
    . - Naval Special Warfare (NSW) - don't forget SEAL & SWCC programs (NSW is continually looking for top-notch HMs (male/female) to work in NSW and deploy in support of NSW operations world-wide.)

To restrict searches to military websites:

(Don't forget to search too)

The Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCM) preparatory course is a 75 credit-hour Army correspondence course offered by the AMEDD C&S, Ft. Sam Houston, TX. This five-module course will review basic math and teach pharmaceutical calculations, as well as introduce you to basic human anatomy/physiology and medical terminology. It is not required, but it is highly recommended.
    081-MD0006 Basic Human Anatomy
    081-MD0007 Basic Human Physiology
    081-MD0010 Basic Medical Terminology
    081-MD0802 Pharmacology Calculations
    081-MD0900 Basic Math

To enroll go to

Active duty Navy corpsmen willing to accept the challenge of joining MARSOC are encouraged to contact the Marine Special Operations School (MSOS) at 910-450-2720 / 2721 (DSN 750-2720 / 2721) or e-mail at MSOS.A&, or for more information about MARSOC, visit them online at

For you in Okinawa, call the 3rd Recon Bn Aid Station at 625-2525 for more info and to get the ball rolling after you've done a little homework. Or start your research by talking to one of their Doc's.
    Last edited by HMC-FMF-PJ; 08-29-2007 at 01:59.

The_Dirty_Name Guest
    Wow. This is the ultimate resource.

Thanks HMC-FMF-PJ