Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FMTB Preparation

Trigger Guest

FMTB Preparation

Hey everyone, I'm enlisting in November and I'm going 8404 (hopefully). I was wondering if anyone could give me an example or PT session(would be amazing) that I can expect in FMTB? I shouldn't have too much trouble with the PT, I would just like to excel and be noticed by my seniors so I may get a billet for recon etc.
    Thanks,
    Trigger
    USNSCC

Trigger,

Here's the link from FMTB East about PT: http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/fmtb/fmst.shtml#physical It's not very specific, but expect to complete both USMC and USN tests as well as lots of running. I would imagine that group PT will be based around the Marine Corps Daily 16 as it's a USMC school...others will chime in with more info...
    -HMC indy
    Semper Gumby! Semper Liquidis! Semper Abeo!

Trigger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by indy View Post
    Trigger,

Here's the link from FMTB East about PT: http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/fmtb/fmst.shtml#physical It's not very specific, but expect to complete both USMC and USN tests as well as lots of running. I would imagine that group PT will be based around the Marine Corps Daily 16 as it's a USMC school...others will chime in with more info...
    Thanks indy! I'll look into the daily 16.

Ask to hear a "sea story"

Trigger,

During your FMTB training, you will be expected to pass a Marine Corps PFT. You can search on that for the requirements.

dertdoc1 Guest
    Trigger,

If it is the same as when I was teaching there it will closely follow Marine PT. Hence daily 16. They usually ramp you up and things get harder as you go on. If you are in good shape then you shouldnt have a problem. But you will be expected to pass a PFA and the Marine Physical Fitness Test

Trigger Guest
    thanks everyone for your quick responses. I still have a lot of PTing to do, but I am in pretty good shape. I can currently pass the Marine Corps PFT. But I am determined to be extremeley well prepared mentally and physically.

Doc77 Guest
    The school is not difficult to graduate from.

Doc Garcia Guest

PT in FMTB

Hey brother,

I just got out of Field Med in December. I don't want to say that the PT is easy, I made that mistake once before, while I was in school, no less. Man. You are looking at a lot of boots and utes runs around the buildings, pull-ups, buddy PT (using your partner as weight), and ab exercises. General rule of thumb is: PT!! If you can run for three miles without stopping and feeling out of breath, the cardio should be relatively easy. TONS of Marine Corps pushups (MARINE CORPS!!!) Hit the gym and work on those lat pull-downs if you are lacking in pull-ups (can do less than 20).You definitely want to be able to finish in under 25 minutes. You will run farther than three miles, but the runs are paced at different fitness levels, so you pick who you think you can hang with and go for it. Remember, they are not there to hurt anyone, so be ready to slow yourself down some when you go on formation runs if you are super beast.

KILL!!

Doc G

Libby Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I shouldn't have too much trouble with the PT, I would just like to excel and be noticed by my seniors so I may get a billet for recon etc.
    Thanks,
    Trigger
    USNSCC
    If you're seriously looking at getting into Recon, as in it's not just a fantasy, you won't have any trouble with PT at FMS at all. It's a joke by comparison.

Now for the warning. I went for SEALs when I was in, and even there the PT wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I'd never failed at anything in my life, and while there had been guys stronger than me and guys faster than me in highschool, the first guys in my life I ever met anyone who were both were SEALs.

But that same description goes for EVERYBODY else who's trying to get in too. So first warning is you'd better be the baddest guy you've ever met, because if you are then you'll only be slightly below average when you start hanging round operators.

Second warning: I came down with pneumonia, and suddenly every PT felt like a near death experience. I was already an HM, so I knew the risk was slight, but I also knew it was there. I could die. PT'ing at that level when you're that sick is dangerous. It's very hard to remember how small the danger is when it feels like you're having a heart attack.

And that's when I realized it wasn't for me. I was willing to die for my country, just not willing to do it in training on a beach in San Diego.

They're looking for a level of commitment that is many levels above anything you've ever experienced before. You need to be willing to put it all on the line, and that's a lot harder than it sounds.

Unless things have changed, you'll also need to extend to even be elligable for ops, and if you've only been in the Navy for a couple of months there's no way you can know if that life is even for you yet so I'd wait a year if I was you.

As for impressing your superiors at FMS, couldn't hurt but I doubt it will help you get noticed by Recon either. In my day the first chance to get noticed was at FMS, but it was a Force Recon HM who would wander into the barracks on Saturday morning and quietly ask you if you wanted to go PT with him. He didn't ask twice. He'd gather up 4 or 5 guys at a time and beat them into the ground, cheering you on the whole time. I can still hear his voice in my head.

Seriously though, get to your first duty station and wait a year. Decide if the Navy life is for you, because it is VERY different from the world. There are many things that can't be explained, can't be prepared for, and just have to be experienced to believe. Getting into a long commitment and then realizing you don't fit that life sucks.